Pages

April 22, 2011

Viewing the past through rose colored glasses

For some reason today, I'm thinking about our time overseas. A year ago at this time, we were living in St. Etienne, France, far away from family and comfort. At the time, we hated it. Absolutely hated it. I cried so many times, wanting to just come home. People told us so many times that we'd look back and have fond memories, and I honestly wanted to throat punch them every time they said it. But I'm kind of starting to feel that now. I can look back and see how much of a blessing our time there was. We grew so close to each other. We learned to rely on ourselves and be a cohesive unit, instead of our parents doing everything for us. I think I truly became an adult in France.

I think the thing I miss the most is my cher amie, Charlotte. I don't think I've ever bonded so instantly with anyone else. (Except DH.) We were so close with her that we decided we would name our first daughter after her, and we've never wavered on that decision. She is my dearest friend, and one of the most incredible people I've ever met. She recently participated in a challenge called 3 Peaks-3 Weeks. 11 women from around the world joined together and climbed the three highest mountains in Africa to raise money for three different causes: education, poverty, and AIDS awareness. Charlotte also lived in Tanzania for three years, working for a school called St. Jude's. They provide education for children living in abject poverty, and Charlotte loved it. She speaks Kiswahili, English, and French fluently, and has some German under her belt as well. (Can you tell that I absolutely adore her?) I'll end this with a picture of my favorite friend. Tu me manques, mon amie. Bisous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik