Yep, this is going to be a crunchy-themed post. Brace yourselves.
I think my whole motivation to start eating less crappy has been kicked into high gear because of having to eliminate dairy for Rowan's sake. I was SO hoping that I would start the elimination diet and that it would turn out to be a non-issue, but lo and behold, his *ahem* poo issues are clearing up, he's spitting up less, and it looks like I'm going to be going dairy free until he's done nursing. I know that you're supposed to reintroduce dairy to see if the symptoms return, so I'll probably have one last shebang on Thanksgiving before I return to my milk-free world.
Guess who's having normal yellow poops again? Yay!
(Side note...everything good has dairy in it. Everything. Ice cream, mac n' cheese, hot chocolate, etc. Part of me wants to cry.)
I'm fairly quickly adjusting to the realization that I'm going to be sans deliciousness for the next several months, and I'm (mostly) ok with it. I'm finding recipes for chocolate cookies that are dairy free, getting used to checking labels for milk and dairy products, and I'm more than fine with doing dinners consisting of meat, veggies, and some sort of carb like rice or bread. (Dairy free bread, obvs.) And since I'm already getting healthier in my food choices by default, I kinda want to take it a little further.
The problem, I think, is twofold. One, we live in an absolute armpit of a town. There are virtually NO organic products here. Maybe a few bags of granola in the cereal department, a couple Amy's frozen dinners in the "vegetarian" section, but even the fresh produce is grown with pesticides and you can forget about non-GMO canned goods or whatever. The second problem is getting DH on board. He's concerned about the expense of buying organic/whole/non-processed foods, and he's also just not all that worried about the potential harmful effects of GMOs. I also think he's kind of assuming that "eating healthy" means he'll be forced to nom on tofu and sprouts and do yoga in the living room, haha. But really, I just want the healthier versions of what we're already eating. Eating pasta? Might as well get the organic, whole-wheat stuff. Organic chicken instead of the hormone-pumped stuff. You get the picture.
Anyone have advice for how to go organic on a tight grocery budget? Any favorite brands/recipes/etc? I feel like it'd be easy to feed myself on just veggies and rice and lentils and whatnot, but DH is going to be a challenge.
November 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment