Pages

May 8, 2012

This might be an unpopular post...

I guess this subject has been on my mind a lot lately, what with all the junk in the media about politicians bashing each other and whatnot. Subjects like taxes, budget cuts, gay marriage, birth control, etc etc are getting everyone worked into a frenzy. I shouldn't be surprised anymore at the lengths people will go to to attack someone else who believes differently than them, but I still am for some reason.

Here's what bugs me. I never, NEVER see anyone saying, "Oh, those stupid Muslims/Orthodox Jews and their hate for everyone who doesn't believe like them. They're all a bunch of hypocrites." Seriously, never once seen anyone bash those two groups. But Christians? Apparently, fair game. From how the news presents things, we're all a bunch of jerks who just hate anyone who is different or believes something other than what we believe. Yes, I am a Christian. I was baptized when I was 17, and I do my best to follow God and be faithful to Him. I believe the Bible, and I try to obey the commands that God put in there for me to follow. Does everyone agree with me? No. And that's their right. We were all given free will, and I would never try to force anyone to agree with me outside their own volition. But me being faithful to MY beliefs, which are based on the religious text that I believe in, should NOT make me a target for ridicule and mocking. Why does it matter if I'm a right-wing conservative and so-and-so is a far-left liberal? If I can respect your right to make different choices than me, why can't you respect mine? Bashing me and calling me "intolerant" or "close-minded" will not change my mind about where my religious and moral loyalties lie. A little mutual respect can go a long, long way.

I understand that many, MANY people disagree with what the Bible says, or at least large chunks of what the Bible says. And like I said, that's their right. God didn't force me to believe in Him...I came to that conclusion on my own. And since I wasn't forced, I am not going to try to do that to anyone else. But please don't make the false assumption that Christians/conservatives/whoever are all unloving, close-minded jerks who just want to shove their faith down everyone else's throats. I respect everyone as human beings, whether or not I agree with or like their political and/or religious beliefs. Yes, some "conservatives" make a really bad name for the rest of us. (I really, really dislike Mitt Romney. And Gingrich. And everyone else on the Republican ticket except for maybe Ron Paul.) But I could also name some pretty cruddy people on the liberal end of the spectrum. It's unfair to make blanket categorizations about the hearts and minds of people who are right or left on the political scale. And obviously, I'm not saying that liberals are just all mean to conservatives...I've heard an abundance of conservatives make idiotic "you're all ______" statements, as well. There is no one group that all fits nicely into the exact same category, ever.

I guess what I'm saying is, I respect your choice to believe differently than me, and all I ask is the same courtesy in return. Respect shouldn't just be reserved for people of your same political party or religious order. Even if you think my beliefs are the dumbest thing ever, and you think I'm stupid for having them, at least appreciate the fact that it's my choice, just like your beliefs are your choice.

6 comments:

  1. I think it's very brave to publish something like this and to air your frustrations. However, I do think that sometimes we see things about our own culture/community. I *DO* see things about Jews pretty regularly in the news that are negative about the American Jewish community as a whole--be in politically, socio-economically, etc.

    I think, or at the very least I hope, that most of the people out there who are good and decent human beings DO respect others' beliefs or choices to not have beliefs. Unfortunately, it's not the case in the media which can often come across as betraying a popular opinion or behavior. He who wields the biggest stick (or in this case is the most vocal on the media) is the one who sometimes ends up speaking for many who do not agree. (And I'm not talking about anyone specific.)

    Some of my best friends are devoted in their own religions, and I respect them and the valuable choices they've made for themselves that lead them to being wonderful and strong human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I wonder if maybe the reason that I don't usually see anything about the Jewish community is because of where I am in the country? I don't know that the Jewish community is terribly prevalent in the Southeast. I'm definitely in the "Bible belt" so maybe that's why the focus around here is typically on the lines between Christian/non-Christian.
    I hope that most people ARE decent humans who respect other opinions. But I guess the ones that are sticking out in my mind are the negative ones. I feel like people tend to be respectful on some things (e.g., "I respect your right to be religious/conservative in some aspects") but if it comes to something more controversial, ("You don't support gay marriage? You hate EVERYONE, you're a terrible person, you're so close-minded", etc) respect becomes something that, suddenly, the other person doesn't "deserve".
    I think that's what bothers me most. I feel like respect only goes so far a lot of the time, when really, everyone deserves respect ALL the time, no matter how much we might disagree politically or religiously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I were just talking about this. Our current struggle lies with how our religious beliefs should be reflected in our political beliefs, and whether the politicians we elect have the right to make laws based on their religious beliefs. It's a very tough topic and I applaud you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you may not see much anti-Semitism in your community if there are not many Jews.

    And yes, you're right. When one disagrees with another on one opinion, the unfortunate truth is that it immediately may escalate into "You hate EVERYONE, you're a terrible person." And we're really missing out on something there. Whether we're on either side of any debate, we're missing out on the chance to educate and have a real dialogue with someone.

    I think, though I'm a peace-maker by personality so I'm not really speaking for myself, the issue is that people take issue with the fact that there are certain people in power from various religious groups that feel that "their way is the only way for themselves AND for others to live." Imposing morality into law is a slippery slope, and I believe that's where some (but by no means all) of the argument may come from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make it a personal 'rule' to not let my religious views affect my political views. I'm Canadian, so things are a bit different here, and I feel as though even Christian politicians are doing some pretty cruddy things - it's sort of a 'Give to Caesar what is Caesar's sort of thing, I guess'.
    It may be different in Canada religiously also, but I DEFINITELY see Christian's being attacked much more than any other religion. Really? Anti-semitism? In the area I'm from, saying anything negative about any religion (except for Christianity) is the same as insulting that person's culture. And HUGELY looked down upon. Christianity is somehow not the same... It isn't viewed as a 'culture' here, it's viewed solely as a bunch of stupid superstitions. It doesn't help that there are a lot of Christians who use what the Bible says as an excuse to attack other people - and in many cases I think people are just defending themselves.
    The problem is when it is assumed that ALL Christians are like that. I was recently 'attacked' on a blog thread because I was defending the fact that as a Christian, my beliefs say I HAVE to share my faith with other people. The unfortunate thing is that the readers assumed I was like some 'Christians' who do things like picket the funerals of homosexual people, and randomly go up to strangers to inform them they are 'going to hell!'. This hurt a lot, because I am not like that. My Dad is an atheist and some of my best friends have been devout Muslims, and I'm fascinated by the Jewish religion and want to learn everything there is to know about it (it was the religion of my Jesus, after all). I have so much respect for other views, but I also feel it is my responsibility to (at some point in a relationship) share what I believe also, and why. There's no way to really 'force' a belief on someone else, and I don't see the point - my biggest goal is that people respect what I believe.
    And around here, usually - Christians are not respected. Christians are idiots.

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik