Or, more specifically, my sacroiliac joint hurts. On the left side.
I started having a weird pain when I was about 10 weeks pregnant. It'd only show up when I was leaning over and lifting something. And it hurt, but not badly. It was almost the sensation of needing to pop a joint, but it was in a place that I couldn't pop.
Flash forward to now. I'm 22 weeks pregnant, and the pain has gotten DRASTICALLY worse. It's happening daily, and at weird random times. When I take a step, when I sit down, when I get in bed, when I do absolutely nothing at all to exacerbate it. After DH witnessing me gasping in pain and clutching the counter while waiting for the stabbing sensation to end, he suggested that I look into a visit to the chiropractor.
Here are the things that I learned today:
1. I love the chiropractor.
2. My sacrum is crooked and deviates to the left, which is what's causing the pain. It's hitting a nerve occasionally and causing the crazy pain.(Incidentally, my mom has the same thing, but on the right. It started when she was pregnant with me and has never quite gone away.)
3. That doctor popped places that I didn't know could be popped, and it was incredible. All of my vertebrae were sighing with joy.
4 TENS units are awesome. Never had electrotherapy before but he put a little shock pad on my butt and had me sit with it for a while. I honestly loved the sensation...tingly and kind of weird but made my muscles feel so relaxed.
Hopefully, my butt issues will be resolved with a few more adjustment sessions. I'm going back again tomorrow, and I'm already kind of looking forward to it. Hopefully it won't end up costing us an arm and a leg...our insurance is a little flaky about what kind of chiropractic care they'll pay for. But thankfully my SIL works for this office and might be able to work out a deal for us. The doctor wants me back three times a week for two weeks, and he seemed fairly confident that it should at least drastically alleviate the pain, if not totally get rid of it. I'm still feeling some of the pain at the moment, but it's not reaching the extreme that it normally does, so at least it's dulled.
Also, fun side note: my midwife told me that blood pressure can be really low during 2nd trimester because of the weird way your body works. Mine today? 99/60. I have NEVER had a reading that low...normally it's around 127/80 or so. I feel like a freak of nature...I have MORE blood than normal, but way lower blood pressure? Weird.
May 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I had the same exact thing!! And it was really weird to be experiencing back (butt) pain so early on in pregnancy, because I always assumed it was the weight of carrying the baby once it was bigger that caused it. I know *exactly* what you mean about the sensation that something needs to be popped that you can't quite get to. I went to the chiropractor too for awhile around 20-25 wks and it did help a lot. Mine was on my left side.
ReplyDeleteThe good news is- after about 1 month post partum it went completely away. :)