Pages

April 12, 2012

Can you train a cat?

I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to just empty a room in my house and lock the cats in it. They are so destructive and to be honest, just stupid. I am so tired of being woken up at 4 in the morning by someone crying at the bedroom door. And it's not that they want to come in...they run away as soon as they hear me moving towards the door. They do it just because. I cannot keep my scrapbooking desk looking nice, because as soon as I tidy it up, someone gets on it in the night and tears it to pieces. Houseplants? Forget that. If it's green, it must be meant there for them to shred.

She looks so innocent...

I'm at my wits' end. One of the cats, I don't really like, but the other one is sweet when she's not being destructive and I would never get rid of her. I'm wondering how effective it would be to buy some cat treats and a clicker and try to train them. I've tried spritzing them with a spray bottle when they do "forbidden" things...doesn't phase them. I even tried mixing a little vinegar in the water so they'd be turned off...and they actually liked the vinegar. Something's got to give. I can't keep dealing with finding items on my desk in the floor when I wake up, or plant leaves ripped to shreds, or paper towel rolls from the kitchen counter ripped to bits.

And since I can't make a post without talking about my pregnancy, I'll slip that in here. I'm 17w1d pregnant, and we're now 19 days away from (hopefully) finding out the sex of the baby. I'm officially making the switch to maternity clothes. I stayed in my regular pants as long as I could, but it was really starting to put too much pressure on my belly. Maternity clothes are bliss. BLISS. It took me all of 3 seconds to fall in love with my full-panel jeans when I put them on last night. I may never go back.

Here's a 17 week bump pic. (It's really bump now! Not bloat!) And yes, my mirror is all spotty. I am not ashamed.

4 comments:

  1. It's going to be okay. We were nervous about our cats, too, so much so that we slept in shifts the first night home from the hospital! Then we realized we were being ridiculous.

    Let the cats sniff baby when it first comes home and let them watch him/her. They will be intrigued but will eventually lose interest. Our cats actually let DD pet them now, it's really cute. GL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! You look soooo great!!!! (Sorry I don't have any advice on your cats, but I am just loving your belly.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all hello this is my first time visiting your blog! You are too cute with your bump btw.

    As far as the cats go I thought I might be able to offer you some advice. Softclaws and Feliway and rescue remedy.

    Softclaws are plastic covers that you glue onto your cats claws so that they can't destroy things. they are perfectly safe for your kitties. Be sure and get the name brand if you get them though, the ones that you find on e-bay are usually knockoffs and don't work at all. They stay on for weeks and really work well. And they come in some cute colors if you want them to have cute nails. lol. My kitty sports hot pink ones!

    Second is the Feliway. It is a plug in thing that you get from a pet store or amazon that chills them out. You can't smell it but they can. Or try putting some rescue remedy in their water. It will take the edge off their attitude. In my experience a tired cat is a nice cat. Get some cat toys and play with them. Get them a cat tower for your craft room and attach toys to the tower for them to play with. It is a little expensive for a tower but worth it.

    Foil is also a great deterrant for cats. Or one of those plastic mats that you put on the floor with the prickly things to catch in the carpet. Put that prickly side up on the desk and they will stop jumping up there in a hurry.

    I hope this helps with your cat issues. There is actually a show on Animal Planet that deals with helping people with cat problems. You might want to check that out.

    Don't let crazy old women make you feel bad about your bump. Back in the day it was desired to be small when pregnant so anything that resembles a normal bump will be big to her. I think your bump is adorable!

    I have a softclaws post on my blog if you want to check it out. If not you can google it and get all kinds of info.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys! I hadn't thought of the Softclaws, Karen, but those are a great idea. If only they made those for their teeth...haha.

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik