Pages

April 16, 2012

"You're too big."

Yep...someone actually said that to me last night.

I don't get it. Why do people feel like they can say anything and everything to pregnant women? We still have feelings. We're still people. Just because we're growing someone doesn't mean that you can be critcal about our weight and we won't mind.

So, backstory. I have this really great maternity dress that I've waited a while to wear. Now that I have an actual bump, I decided it was time to go for it. I felt really confident and pretty dang attractive in that dress. I was milling around talking to people after church (visiting at my mom's congregation) and an old woman came up to me and informed me that I'm far too big for how far along I am. (Um, almost 5 months pregnant, and I've gained no more than 6 lbs at most. I think I'm fine.) I smiled and told her that I like my bump, but she insisted that I'm showing way too much and that I need to be careful. It really got under my skin. First of all, just because I'm pregnant, doesn't mean I'm not self-conscious about gaining weight. Secondly, I have virtually no control over how big the baby is right now. I'm eating fine and haven't gained a lot, so that belly is because the baby is growing. Urgh.





On a happy note, I have the prettiest wild roses growing in the hedge line at the back of my yard! They smell wonderful, and they're so tiny and delicate. My BIL is supposed to come spend the day/night with us tomorrow so I might cut a sprig of them and put them on the dining room table. (If I can get the table cleaned off. It tends to be our "pile junk here" spot.) I've been fairly busy today cleaning the front room, hanging some wall decorations, cleaning DH's desk (oy vey) but now I'm taking a break to ice my tailbone. Sacroiliac joint aches are a pain in the butt, hardy har.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. People never cease to amaze me! I'm sure you look great :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik